Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Artist Trading Cards

Well, thanks to Cathy Vigor, textile artist from the Pendleton Art Center in Ashland, Ky, I have a new obsession! She was at our Monday meeting and showed us how to make ATCs. She is with a group of ladies that create these beautiful pieces of art on 2.5 x 3.5 pieces of fabric and swap them. I've already been brainstorming with ideas to create my own. I love lighthouses and blackwork so the design I'm working on now is a blackwork lighthouse I will stitch to fabric with lightning bolts in it. I think I'll call the series "Stormy Skies". It's a WIP so we'll see what happens. Me and the stitching girls have a SEP* schedule for tomorrow at Hobby Lobby using our 40% off coupons Becky gave us. I'm looking forward to shopping and spending time with the girls, like I always do, and then dinner after. I think it's interesting that we always have a meal included in our stitching ventures. It's a necessity I guess.
My current stitching sessions involve to pieces that I'm working on simultaneously. They are both done in hand dyed floss so I cut a length of one and stitch on one project. When that thread is ended, I cut a section for the other one and work that thread out. I know it's a bit complicated but I think I'll get them both done sooner if I do this. One of the projects is a kit I found in Nashville called a Celtic Truffet. I have to stitch the same Celtic design four times and then stitch each section together to make a pillow-like piece. It's a bit complicated to explain but when it's finished I'll post the photo. I like trying new things. The other project is a breast cancer ribbon design that I'm working on for Jill. It's very pretty. I hope she will let me use the pattern to stitch one of my own. I'm sure all I have to do is ask.

Most recently I finished the July Monthly Mania. I took it for show and tell at the meeting but hadn't posted a photo yet so here it is for all of you who didn't get to see it yet.


Well, I think that's all for now. We have internet at home but the connection speed is VERY slow so I now take my laptop to the Ashland Library and use their free WIFI to connect. Now, it's back home to reheat the roast I fixed yesterday and watch some shows I recorded while on vacation.
*stash enhancing party

No comments:

Post a Comment