Thursday, December 16, 2010

Exchange Gift

It was a great TANA Christmas Party! I was so happy to finally finish my exchange gift at 11:30pm the night before the luncheon. I spent the night at Becky's and we stitched in her family room in front of the fire. I had seen pictures of this before. I think it's called an Etui. I had a pattern that I borrowed from Becky of one that was made with stitching on plastic canvas. I had a brilliant idea that I would create a fabric-covered box. It sounds simple enough but I worked on it for weeks creating each piece. If I had enough time I would have kept it and made something else. However, I knew that in our stitching group whoever received it would really appreciate it.
I was so happy when Becky looked up at her mom and said, "Bring me that plaid-covered box." She chose MY gift! Well, I was right. She really appreciated it and probably more than most because she watched me working on it and knew how hard it was to assemble.

I did the top piece in needle tatting. I worked on it at Lanna's. I thought it was finished but when I laid it out and started stitching it to the lid, it wasn't even. I had to stitch another piece and sew it on to make it look like it was all one piece. I think it turned out nice.

Since I had stayed at Becky's, I knew which tin she had put her exchange piece in, so I grabbed it! You may not think it was fair, but I was letter "N" in the exchange so many people had a chance to get it before me and they missed out.
One of the more interesting things about the hardanger scissor case that Becky made is that I let her borrow the front pattern from me. Also, at the Ripley Retreat Lanna and I taught her how to make the necklace part. Life is full of irony.
I'm still working on the Nordic Needle Hardanger cards for this year. This is the completed November card. I'm working on December and should have it done today or tomorrow. I love this weather. I can use the excuse that the roads are just too snowy and icy to go anywhere so I can just stay home and stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment