Friday, August 6, 2010

Family Visit

I had a wonderful day yesterday! My dad and Carolyn drove down and spent the day with me. They brought Chipper their dog. When I visited them earlier in the summer, Chipper wouldn't have anything to do with me or Nick. He's a very picky puppy. This time, he crawled right up on my lap like we had been friends for life. Nick will be so jealous. He usually makes friends with dogs before anyone else even has a chance.

We tried several times to stop by so dad could watch Nick practice football but for the first time all year they decided to practice all day in the gym. Partly because we had a really severe thunderstorm in the afternoon. It sounded like it was right over the house. There was no delay between the bright lightening and almost deafening thunder. It hit one time and my dad was off that chair in a second. I'm not sure I've every seen him move that fast in my life. It was a freaky storm.

We ate lunch at the Texas Roadhouse. Carolyn and I had salmon and dad had steak. After lunch we picked up the girls from daycare and went home. The girls took right to dad. Usually they are both a bit shy, especially Alyssa, but not this time. Emma talked constantly and Alyssa enjoyed playing "don't copy me" with dad.

Chipper didn't like getting in on the photo action. He's not used to being around children. I think they made him nervous. Emma loved snuggling up to her Great Grandma, though.

Dad loved it that Emma just jumped right up in his lap. She's not usually shy but it did surprise me she just climbed right up there. Dad has a way with kids. Carolyn said that he communicates with them on the same level. I think dad just rolled his eyes and went on. They have a great relationship. They tease each other back and forth and don't get mad. It's cute.

Carolyn brought me a stitching book. (A woman who knows how to get to my heart.) Dad brought me a picture of him and my mom when they were still very young. I think I was just a little over a year old when the picture was taken. He also gave me a picture of his parents when they were first married. I have to get my scanner signal to connect with my computer signal and then I will scan and post them here. I have to admit I have some very handsome and beautiful people in my family. (Maybe good looks skipped my generation and picked back up after me. LOL)

I sent them home with the apple coasters I made and a welcome banner that I stitched and finished the edges with the Finishing With Flair class I took from EGA. I think they liked them. I usually don't give stitched items as gifts but I know that they will both appreciate the hard work that goes into making something by hand.

Before the snow gets here this winter, Phoebe, the girls and I are going to get up to see them again. Nick and I had such a great time, he's ready to go back soon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment